fai-multi-distribution with Ubuntu support released

Rudy Gevaert Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
Mon Jun 4 13:58:42 CEST 2007

Henning Sprang wrote:
> On 6/1/07, Juergen Kahnert <Juergen.Kahnert at desy.de> wrote:
>> Hello Henning,
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 01:35:55AM +0100, Henning Sprang wrote:
>> > I just created a version of FAI 2.9 that is able to install Debian
>> > sarge, Ubuntu hoary, Ubuntu breezy from a single Debian sarge server.
>>
>> do you have anything for the current etch FAI 3.1?
>
> FAI 3.1 (since quite some more versions, but I don't know which) has
> the most important things integrated:
>
> - unpacking a base.tgz named CLASS.tgz from the configspace
> - using other package managers
>
> There are some ubuntu classes here:
> http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/images/b/b1/Fai-configspace.tar.gz
>

>> And not shipped as a .deb package but a howto add this to a working etch
>> FAI server?
>
> Just out of my head without testing it now:
>
> - build a minimal base image (here, the make-fai-base-tgz from
> svn://svn.debian.org/svn/fai/people/lazyboy/fai-distributions canhelp
> you, but is not required) and put it into CLASSNAME.tgz in the
> configspace
> - add the ubuntu host to the class CLASSNAME
> - check that the package lists of the classes of that host are ubuntu
> compatible
> - install
>
>> Any diffs for the current etch version?
>
> Forget all that.
> The only helpful but not required  thing is at the above-mentioned svn
> url - but it's only a helper.
>
> Please try this, and please report if that works.

I took the time to test and it works:

Create base image file:

DIST=feisty
DIR=/tmp/$DIST
[ -e $DIR ] || mkdir $DIR
cd $DIR
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--arch i386 --exclude=dhcp-client,info feisty $DIR
http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/ubuntu/ubuntu/"
export FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS
debootstrap $FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS
chroot $DIR apt-get clean
tar -cvzf /srv/fai/config/basefiles/FEISTY.tar.gz *
cd /tmp
rm -fr $DIR

Note: I'm using debootstrap from debian unstable.  I have copied the
feisty debootstrap script from my ubuntu (dapper) machine, and placed it
in /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/

I also defined the following classes:
FEISTY
UBUNTU
UBUNTU_DESKTOP

wopr:/srv/fai/config# cat class/FEISTY
UBUNTU

wopr:/srv/fai/config# cat class/faiserv
UBUNTU_DESKTOP

wopr:/srv/fai/config# cat package_config/UBUNTU
PACKAGES aptitude
ubuntu-base

wopr:/srv/fai/config# cat package_config/UBUNTU_DESKTOP
PACKAGES aptitude
ubuntu-desktop

I still have some issues with networking that I'm looking into.

Rudy

Rudy Gevaert          Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be          tel:+32 9 264 4734
Directie ICT, afd. Infrastructuur ICT Department, Infrastructure office
Groep Systemen                    Systems group
Universiteit Gent                 Ghent University
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, 9000 Gent, Belgie               www.UGent.be