fai-multi-distribution with Ubuntu support released

Rudy Gevaert Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
Tue Jun 5 22:02:45 CEST 2007

Henning Sprang wrote:
> On 6/4/07, Rudy Gevaert <Rudy.Gevaert at ugent.be> wrote:
>> I took the time to test and it works:
>
> Cool, thanks for testing!
>
>> Create base image file:
>>
>> DIST=feisty
>> DIR=/tmp/$DIST
>> [ -e $DIR ] || mkdir $DIR
>> cd $DIR
>> FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--arch i386 --exclude=dhcp-client,info feisty $DIR
>> http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/ubuntu/ubuntu/"
>> export FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS
>> debootstrap $FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS
>> chroot $DIR apt-get clean
>> tar -cvzf /srv/fai/config/basefiles/FEISTY.tar.gz *
>> cd /tmp
>> rm -fr $DIR
>
> This is basically what the make-fai-base-tgz from my subversion branch
> does - you only need to create a config file for a new (debian-based)
> distribution/version and tell it where it can find the right
> debootstrap package.

I haven't tried that, I just used my own debootstrap (from unstable on
sarge)

> (now only for debian, but it should also be possible to add
> functionality for other distributions by abstractiung the call to the
> bootstrapper a bit more).
>

>> I still have some issues with networking that I'm looking into.
>
> What exactly is happening?
> I realized there are some strange things happening when installing
> dapper and having a separate /var partition - I have to look into my
> config at home to give you a hint what to do.
>
> The symptoms of this problem where missing local network, and
> therefore many things failing, including gnome login, and even the
> network scripts doing strange things.

I was mailed off list with a solution.  I was seeing the same problems.
  Networking and other things couldn't be started:

> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:58:42 +0200,
> Rudy Gevaert <Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be> wrote:
>  [...]
>> > I still have some issues with networking that I'm looking into.
>
> I've had the problem that networking would not start due to missing
> /var/run/network/, maybe you have the same ?
>
> I've put this in a hook:
>
>  #
>  # hack for network missing /var/run after 1st reboot, see
>  #  http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2006/08/msg00322.html
>  #
>  mkdir /tmp/xxx
>  mount --bind $FAI_ROOT /tmp/xxx
>  test -d /tmp/xxx/var/run/network || mkdir -vp /tmp/xxx/var/run/network
>  umount /tmp/xxx && rmdir /tmp/xxx
>

> Hope this helps,
>
> Emil Gorter

I fixed it by making /var/run/network (and /var/run/lock I think) before
making the base image tar ball.

I also have a problem that my installation sets up my fstab with
/dev/hdaX, but when rebooting ubuntu sees /dev/sda.

Maybe I need to use the ubuntu debootstrap.

Rudy