Running installation in a screen

Torsten Schlabach TSchlabach at gmx.net
Tue Jul 3 17:12:05 CEST 2007

Hi!

> I guess nobody replied to that one yet ...

Not yet. But now!

> If you really want to capture all the output I think you will need to
> modify/replace the script fai itself, which is called as an init
> substitute.

What exactly does init substitute mean? There is a binary sbin/init on the FAI nfsroot. And I have not seen any init=/etc/init.d/rcS on the FAI kernel.

> However, you will get most of the output if you enable full debugging
> using FAI_FLAGS=debug and then look at /tmp/fai/fai.log.

It depends ... In the logile you might be able to tell why the installation hangs, but if for example this is because a question is asked by some package (though it shouldn't) you cannot act.

Using screen might have advantages for remote install clients where you don't have physical console access.

Regards,
Torsten