Running installation in a screen

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Wed Jul 4 10:36:18 CEST 2007

[...]
> > If you really want to capture all the output I think you will need to
> > modify/replace the script fai itself, which is called as an init
> > substitute.
>
> What exactly does init substitute mean? There is a binary sbin/init on the FAI nfsroot. And I have not seen any init=/etc/init.d/rcS on the FAI kernel.

I might be slightly wrong on this one, maybe others can comment in a better way.
AFAIK init simply calls /etc/init.d/rcS, so maybe it is rather a replacement of
all init script processing.

> > However, you will get most of the output if you enable full debugging
> > using FAI_FLAGS=debug and then look at /tmp/fai/fai.log.
>
> It depends ... In the logile you might be able to tell why the installation hangs, but if for example this is because a question is asked by some package (though it shouldn't) you cannot act.
>
> Using screen might have advantages for remote install clients where you don't have physical console access.

Indeed, but in fact you should rather fix your installation to run
non-interactively, so just kill the process and re-run the installation :-)

Best,