script failed but no error message

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Sat Sep 30 16:54:02 CEST 2006

On 9/28/06, Holger Levsen <debian at layer-acht.org> wrote:
> [...]
> On Thursday 28 September 2006 13:00, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> > I'd also vote for a new class, may it be VIRTUAL or even 2 classes, like
> > VSERVER and XENU; it's minor issues only, but there are a few things to be
> > done on virtual instances and thus an extra class seems justified.
>
> /me too thinks this is a good idea, but not in the simple (!) examples.
>
> Let's make it examples/vserver and examples/xen. And yes, I'm in favor of two
> more examples as there are debian kernel flavors for both kinds of
> virtualisation.

The only problem with this is, as it affects some files like
scripts/LAST/50-misc you will have to manage nearly same (only one
line is different) copies of that file in two locations.

One Idea how to solve that:
For example the hwclock part could split out into the script
55-set-hwclock ( which is anyway better zthan "misc" which is knid
meaningless), and in the xen and vserver example there's a check added
if the class is not VSERVER or XENU.
A user who wants to use the additional example needs then to copy
examples/xen/* over the simple examples to get both.

Henning