script failed but no error message

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Sat Sep 30 17:07:16 CEST 2006

Hi,

first of all: please don't cc: me, I'm subscribed.

On Saturday 30 September 2006 16:54, Henning wrote:
> The only problem with this is, as it affects some files like
> scripts/LAST/50-misc you will have to manage nearly same (only one
> line is different) copies of that file in two locations.

right..

> One Idea how to solve that:
> For example the hwclock part could split out into the script
> 55-set-hwclock ( which is anyway better zthan "misc" which is knid
> meaningless), and in the xen and vserver example there's a check added
> if the class is not VSERVER or XENU.
> A user who wants to use the additional example needs then to copy
> examples/xen/* over the simple examples to get both.

I think copying files over the other is not so good. I'd rather like to see
another class, REALHARDWARE, which does not get defined in case the system is
a xen-instance, a vserver or a chroot.

But I also think this is advanced usage, so I would propose to accept that the
simple examples cause errors in this special (or not so special) cases and
have a (complete, without copying over) advanced example config dir, which
has such a REALHARDWARE class.

Such a class is also useful for other stuff, like configuring munin or mrtg.

regards,
	Holger