script failed but no error message

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Thu Sep 28 13:00:14 CEST 2006

> On 9/28/06, Thomas Lange <lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de> wrote:
> >[...]
> >    chroot /tmp/target hwclock --utc --systohc || true
>
> That works but it's kind of dirty, it will also be true if there is a
> real error on real hardware.
>
> >It will always succeed and return no error code.
>
> As I said, because we want (and actually do) support Xen installs with
> dirinstall, it would be just nice to add some (it's maybe 3 )
> additional scripts in simple examples for the class XENU, because
> otherwise you get a xen install which runs, but is not really "clean"
> and nice.
>
> I have these scripts ready (they mainly include work from multiple
> other people), it's not more work. (you get them when I am at home).
>
> If you don't want to add XENU, because the examples get less simple
> than, it would be better to find out how hwclock can be made to output
> a proper error message when it fails so one know what's causing the
> error. (this should be done in any case).

I'd also vote for a new class, may it be VIRTUAL or even 2 classes, like VSERVER
and XENU; it's minor issues only, but there are a few things to be done on
virtual instances and thus an extra class seems justified.

Henning, I'll take a close look at the scripts and see what else I should add in
my local configs :-)

Cheers,