Build nfs root for Woodcrest

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Wed Sep 13 15:55:52 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm about to build a FAI NFSroot to install Debian on Woodcrest machines.
There are several issues:
- a new kernel has to be used (for support of newer e1000 chips, and
	Areca RAID controllers)
- it has to be a complete x86_64 installation
- etch for x86_64 is still incomplete
- for some reason, the test machine (Opteron based) that I use to build
	teh nfsroot still has the sarge fai package installed while
	being (upgraded to) etch otherwise
- the FAI server will be a sarge 686 machine which is already serving FAI
	installations for 686 and Alpha architectures (with different
	DHCP groups mapped to different root-path settings)

What I need now are suggestions how to build a nfsroot that uses etch
(and possibly fill in missing parts from sarge?).
Even with pure sarge, and the new kernel, I get errors:

Architecture-specific modutils configuration not found, using defaults
FATAL: Could not open '/boot/System.map-': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot.amd64/boot/vmlinuz-': No such file or directory
Removing `diversion of /sbin/discover-modprobe to /sbin/discover-modprobe.distrib by fai'

Could the reason be that newer kernels require newer modutils?

Running out of ideas,
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI Grav.Phys.(AEI) * Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam
Cluster Admin * http://pandora.aei.mpg.de/merlin/ * http://www.aei.mpg.de/