$LOGSERVER and $SERVER vs. softupdate: bug?

Ingo Wichmann iw at linuxhotel.de
Sat Mar 25 23:56:39 CET 2006

Hi!

In my /etc/fai/fai.conf on the installserver LOGSERVER= is empty, so as
expected the installclient uses the installserver instead.

When fai softupdate was run on this client, the logs did not appear on
the installserver.

I've fixed it by setting LOGSERVER to the name of the installserver. But
why is this necessary?

In /usr/lib/fai/fai-savelog, function save_log_remote() the variable
LOGSERVER defaults to $SERVER :
   [ -z "$LOGSERVER" ] && LOGSERVER=$SERVER

I think this is a bug in the case of softupdates, because $SERVER is not
set during softupdates.

Ingo