Best way to install backports with FAI

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Fri Mar 24 15:53:30 CET 2006

> Thomas,
>
> > Seems that apt-get does not support it, or your sources.list is not
> > correct.
> Thomas Lange <lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de>
>
> I have included a copy of my preferences and sources.list file from
> /etc/fai as attachments.
>
> > Currently not, because I think apt-get and aptitude support the
> > packagename/distro and so fai do not need to do their work.
> Thomas Lange <lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de>
>
> I think the problem is the lack of the -t option. I based my script on
> the instructions from backports.org here is the link:
>
> http://www.backports.org/instructions.html
>
> It appears based on the instructions that the -t option is needed when
> a package contains several dependencies that are not in sarge. If you
> see any problems in my config files or can think of a work around I
> would be happy to hear it.

What happens if you add/replace contents in you preferences for it to contain
the following lines:

Package: *
Pin: release a=sarge-backports
Pin-Priority: 550

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 600

AFAIK apt should then automatically choose packages from sarge-backports, if
they aren't available in Sarge.

HTH,
Michael

PS.: Probably the stable-pin is not even necessary, I think stable should have a
priority of 990, but I'm not entirely sure.