cant open /dev/hda

David Miller dmiller at judcom.nsw.gov.au
Thu Mar 2 22:42:02 CET 2006

Thanks Michael and Thomas,

it was the udev issue, all is working now.
thanks alot

PS: Thomas, also thanks for the good talk at linux.conf.au

David

Michael Tautschnig wrote:

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm new to FAI so please bear with me.
>>
>>I'm trying to install etch with FAI with nfsroot and PXE booting.
>>the kernel boots but stops at the partitioning of disks, the following
>>appears in fai.log:
>>
>>sfdisk: cannot open /dev/hda for reading
>>/dev/hda: no such file or directory
>>
>>But I get lines like this in the kernel.log
>>

>><4>hda: attached ide-disk driver.
>><6>hda: 160086528 sectors (81964 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=158816/16/63,
>>UDMA(100)
>><6>Partition check:
>><6> hda: [PTBL] [9964/255/63] hda1 hda2 hda3
>>

>>I've tried a number of the fai kernel versions with similar results.
>>any suggestions ?
>>if more logs are needed please tell me, didnt want to spam the list
>>

>Which fai-version are you using? Most likely you are missing the udev-Package in
>your NFSROOT (and thus there is no such file/device as hda in your /dev
>directory).
>
>HTH,
>Michael

This Message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.
Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily the views of the Judicial Commission of NSW.