experimental fai-multi-distribution packages

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Wed Jan 25 21:40:38 CET 2006

Hi,
I just uploaded some packages of FAI which enable fully
automated/automatic installation of Debian, Ubuntu and Mandriva Linux,
at the same time, from one nfsroot.

There's also basic support for centos and fedora based on Florent
Vuillemin's work (who also made the working mandriva stuff), but it
doesn't work yet.
It seems the biggest unsolved thing is base-image creation. For
Mandriva, there's a base image available for download from the faiwiki
machine.
This could be worked around by using pre-build base images, manually
made from existing systems of these distributions, or taken from
http://jailtime.org/start or http://www.xen-get.org/ who both provide
system images for use with the xen virtual machine monitor.
I am sure they can easily be used as base images for a FAI installation,
we want install the kernel of our choice anyway. I just didn't find time
to try this.

Anyway, enough boring talk, download and read howto at
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/FAI_multi-distribution

Henning