floppy-image is too big

Jens Dreger jens.dreger at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sun Dec 3 20:00:46 CET 2006

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 03:45:36PM +0100, Micha Beyer wrote:
> we are using here the fai-server 3.1.2 and fai-kernels 1.13 and we need the
> floppy-bootimage for twelve clients.
> The message ist that the kernel-image is too big for the floppy, really the
> image has 1,5MB. Where is the mistake and what can I do?

Until recently we have been using bootfloppies, but with a recent
kernel version it was no longer possible to fit a kernel supporting
all network chips we have in our fai clients on a floppy. It could be
done by disabling acpi but then some boards would freeze when booted
with this install kernel. We have about 50 different mainboard types
to support with about 35 different network chips (different PCI-ID,
not necessarily different driver). We have started to eliminate all
network cards not being able to do PXE. You can buy Intel
Etherexpress 100 PCI Cards on Ebay for 3 EUR each (e.g. 150065437782).
In the long run this is probably your best option, because even if
you manage to fit a recent kernel on a floppydisk, at some point this
will probably not be possible anymore. Booting over PXE is also much
faster.

HTH,

Jens.

--
Jens Dreger                      Freie Universitaet Berlin
dreger at physik.fu-berlin.de       Fachbereich Physik - ZEDV