floppy-image is too big

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Mon Dec 4 12:41:44 CET 2006

Hi,

On Sunday 03 December 2006 15:45, Micha Beyer wrote:
> we are using here the fai-server 3.1.2 and fai-kernels 1.13 and we need the
> floppy-bootimage for twelve clients.
> The message ist that the kernel-image is too big for the floppy, really the
> image has 1,5MB. Where is the mistake and what can I do?

It's not a bug, it's a feature :-D

Quoting from /usr/share/doc/fai-kernels/NEWS.Debian.gz

fai-kernels (1.13) unstable; urgency=low

  * as floppies are really rare nowadays, the kernel size is not optimized for
    1.44mb size anymore. Use http://rom-o-matic.net/ to generate a etherboot
    floppy for netbooting using PXE or copy the 2.88mb floppy image to a CD.

  * Alternativly you can rebuild fai-kernels with a config from
    /usr/share/doc/fai-kernels/config-2.6.18.144mb-floppy - the kernel with
    this configuration still fits on 1.44mb floppies and there should be
    enough space for additional driversa. You might need to add needed drivers
    to the config. In case you need more space you can remove unneeded drivers
    to save more space. Network card drivers from cards you don't have are
good
    candidates :) Instructions howto  rebuild the package can be found in the
    README.

"apt-get install apt-listchanges" and you will get these news displayed
automatically on upgrades.

> The NIC's are old and have no features how PXE. The BootCD is not an
> option.

as written there, http://rom-o-matic.net/ is an option. Or rebuilding.

regards,
	Holger