floppy-image is too big

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Mon Dec 4 21:23:55 CET 2006

On 12/4/06, Holger Levsen <debian at layer-acht.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 03 December 2006 19:35, Henning Sprang wrote:
> > and xen hvm systems also can neither run
> > real nor etherboot pxe at the moment)
>
> How do you boot xen systems now?

Paravirtualized systems with Xen tools and a kernel that resides in
the Host (Dom0) system.

HVM (hardware supported virtualization with special processor
features) via a software BIOS  taken from qemu (only CPU and Memory
management are supported by the processors of current generations).

As the Network drivers for hvm don't have PXE support, and don't work
with any etherboot image I tried(I'm gonna test again in while, it
will work one day, but now yet), I have to make a FAI bootflopy/iso.
As I understood it, this won't be possible anymore without the
fai-kernels package, and that's why I vote against it, currently.

> Have you filed a (wishlist) bug for this
> issue?

Against what? Xen? I did look upstream on the state of the issue, but
people are busy with other things, giving unclear answers. It seems to
be on their agenda. Mayxbe it works in the meantime, I have to try
again some day.

I have added a comment to the bug for the removal of fai-kernels a
long time ago, saying that I think they are still needed.

Henning