installation problem with ssh

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Sat Sep 17 18:21:54 CEST 2005

> > Could you tell us a bit more about the exact point of this
> > ssh-connection-attempt? IMHO ssh is only used for storing the logs >_after_
> > the
> > installation.
>
> hm, since i am not at the lab right now, i'll give you the last output of
> last-install/fai.log:
>
> [...]
> Creating journal (8192 blocks): done
> Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
> This filesystem will be automatically checked every 35 mounts or
> 180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
> cp: cannot stat `/fai/files/etc/fstab': No such file or directory
> partition.LFLCONFIG  OK.
> Skiping task_partition
> Calling task_mountdisks
> Save log files via ssh to fai at 138.245.76.2:GREENHORN/install-20050916_031945
> Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts (/root/.ssh/known_hosts).
> Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts (/root/.ssh/known_hosts).

Just a guess: task_mountdisks silently fails because of the missing /etc/fstab
and this causes fai to cancel all other tasks and start the logging?

> btw: partition.LFLCONFIG is a hook written by me that works as a
> substitute for the fai-partitioner. task_partition has some problems with
> existing winNT-partitions on the clients, and since all of them have the
> same disk-layout my script just formats two existing partitions and copies
> an "default-fstab" from /fai/files/etc/fstab. but even this does not seem
> to work. maybe this is a hint for the solution ...

Please check, if /fai/files/etc/fstab exists and is readable - this is probably
the key to the solution - then a writable /tmp/target could be mounted and your
ssh-problem would be fixed as well!

HTH,