image transfer problem

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Fri Nov 11 17:35:28 CET 2005

> Hi,
> I configured and installed FAI succesfully on the master of my (future) beowulf cluster. I'm trying to install first client: it get the dhcp offer, it continues the installation until this problem:

Just a short note: I don't know anything about beowulf-systems, all hints are
just from my personal FAI experiences.

[...]
> Calling task_confdir
> Kernel parameters: ip=dhcp devfs=nomount  FAI_ACTION=install root=/dev/nfs FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt,syslogd BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz-install
> Reading /tmp/fai/boot.log
>

> At this point it halts, after a while  it writes:
>
> Mount: RPC: Remote System Error - Connection Timed Out
Check the connection to your NFS server...

> WARNING: directorty /fai/class not found.
>
> and then there is black screen.
> Any suggestion? What is the file /tmp/fai/boot.log? And where is /fai/class? Under /usr/local/share there is my /fai/class directory, with all files edited starting from your beowulf example, is it this?

/tmp/fai/boot.log is one of the logfiles created in the RAM of your client (and
later stored to /var/log/fai/localhost/...), but most probably this is not that
important.

/fai/class is (usually) set up by mounting the fai-configuration directory from
your server using NFS, which is probably located at /usr/local/share/fai, so you
are right. But as a result of the RPC error the directory could not be mounted.

You need to check the connection to your NFS server, and furthermore check that
the NFS-services are running. I had the problem that for some reason my
rpc.mountd crashed after mounting the NFSROOT, which resulted in similar errors.
If that is true for you, I can send you a patch to fix this issue.

HTH,