fai 2.8.3 skipping packages?

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Wed May 25 21:04:15 CEST 2005

[...]
> BTW:
> I expect 2.8.4 to destroy my local setup again since the automated patching
> of fai.conf etc would no longer work :-( and it's little fun to find
> such changes the hard way.

If you are willing to track all changes, you could ask Thomas to add your email
address to his CVS-commit list -- that might help.

> -+-
>
> Solution:
> I removed xv from the package list (the proper way would be to build it
> locally... until then remove it from the local repository), and everything
> looks nice now.
>
> Thanks for helping - if I had stayed with 2.6.x this would not have
> happened (for the old error line would have shown up in error.log,
> who reads the full log files?)

Although 2.6.x would not have led to such (maybe?) strange behaviour, it would
instead not have installed any packages, as the whole load of packages was then
installed at once and that command would have failed the same way.

As we are all trying to improve FAI, changes also imply incompatibilities,
unlike M$-systems:

http://www.godslayer.org/pics/computers_46.php

:-)