fai 2.8.3 skipping packages?

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Wed May 25 17:22:58 CEST 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 04:40:17PM +0200, Henning Sprang wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 15:20 +0200, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
> > answering to stupid me ...
>
> Don't be so hard with yourself!

I am. I have to be. Made a lot of stupid mistakes all week. Coffee does
not help much. Need more sleep :-(

> > I suggest FAI to be distributed not only as complete packages but also as
> > a patch set ... would make it easier to find such small changes for
> > local personalization.
>
> It would be a good idea in general, to better separate between things
> "included" in FAI not meant to be changed by users and things meant to
> be changed by users.

Thanks for seconding me :-)
BTW, it's very confusing that the fai/download/ area is kept so clean -
it's almost impossible to find the previous version, let alone diffs.
(There is one from 2.8 to 2.8.2...)

> Now we often have the situation, when installing a
> new FAI version, that it's very useful (or even needed?) to merge
> changes in the FAI example configs into your own, customized FAI config
> space in /usr/local/share/fai, which can, in case you really edit the
> example config's scripts and things like that, be a nice little hell.

That's what I'm going through. I have my local modifications to the
/etc/fai/* files, some patches to the disk partitioner (to keep the
contents of xfs filesystems if there are any while still allowing to
format a fresh replacement disk - the -f option to mkfs.xfs makes
things a bit hard for me) (for Alpha, I'm a bit out of sync now, but
still working on it - anyone else still interested in AlFAI?)
- and it's quite a mess to patch the patch files with almost every
new release (install package, overwrite files, read them, check with
the patches, run patch --dry-run, patch the patch, dry-run again...)

Of course (?) I could dpkg -x every new release into a tree, then run
a recursive diff - and still might miss some pre/post-install scripts
affecting my setup :-(

Hmmm. If I only could clone myself.

Cheers,
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI fuer Gravitationsphysik (Albert-Einstein-Institut)
SciencePark Golm, Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam * http://www.aei.mpg.de