fai 2.8.3 skipping packages?

Henning Sprang henning_fai at gmx.de
Wed May 25 16:40:17 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 15:20 +0200, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 11:49:20AM +0200, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
>
> answering to stupid me ...

Don't be so hard with yourself!

> [...]
>
> I checked the error.log - unfortunately the line "E: Sorry, broken packages"
> sometime in the past had been changed to "E: Broken packages", and my
> savelog.LAST (which had already been extended a lot) did not reflect this.
> I suggest FAI to be distributed not only as complete packages but also as
> a patch set ... would make it easier to find such small changes for
> local personalization.

It would be a good idea in general, to better separate between things
"included" in FAI not meant to be changed by users and things meant to
be changed by users. Now we often have the situation, when installing a
new FAI version, that it's very useful (or even needed?) to merge
changes in the FAI example configs into your own, customized FAI config
space in /usr/local/share/fai, which can, in case you really edit the
example config's scripts and things like that, be a nice little hell.

> > ERROR: 25600 25600
>
> Well, one would not expect a major problem to hide behind this line.
> Can someone please explain where this comes from, and what the numbers
> mean? (I know that it's 256*100 or 0xa0**2 ... but what would 0x6400
> tell me? return code 100... what's that?)

I don't know about the numbers - but if any of the packages in one apt
call in software install has a failure, none of all the packages get
installed, but often an error is only displayed for the package with the
error - i had troubles to find that out, too once...

Henning