fai 2.8.3 skipping packages?

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Wed May 25 15:20:06 CEST 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 11:49:20AM +0200, Michael Tautschnig wrote:

answering to stupid me ...

> Are there any lines starting with "WARNING:" ? Were all the other packages
> listed in the line containing tivsm properly installed?

None of them - of the 99 only 58 were dropped, but the remaining ones already
had been installed by taskinst. If the numbers had been identical, I would
not have written the report...

> As this is a "local" package, you won't find a "Get:...." line for it, but you
> should find an "Unpacking ..." line. Still, it is possible that a bunch of
> packages has not been installed, because one of them was missing from the
> archive. Then you would find lines like

It was there but had broken depends :-(

> E: Broken packages

I checked the error.log - unfortunately the line "E: Sorry, broken packages"
sometime in the past had been changed to "E: Broken packages", and my
savelog.LAST (which had already been extended a lot) did not reflect this.
I suggest FAI to be distributed not only as complete packages but also as
a patch set ... would make it easier to find such small changes for
local personalization.

> ERROR: 25600 25600

Well, one would not expect a major problem to hide behind this line.
Can someone please explain where this comes from, and what the numbers
mean? (I know that it's 256*100 or 0xa0**2 ... but what would 0x6400
tell me? return code 100... what's that?)

-+-

BTW:
I expect 2.8.4 to destroy my local setup again since the automated patching
of fai.conf etc would no longer work :-( and it's little fun to find
such changes the hard way.

-+-

Solution:
I removed xv from the package list (the proper way would be to build it
locally... until then remove it from the local repository), and everything
looks nice now.

Thanks for helping - if I had stayed with 2.6.x this would not have
happened (for the old error line would have shown up in error.log,
who reads the full log files?)

Back to real work now,
 Steffen