The groundhog installation...

Guejo glatapoui at gmail.com
Tue May 3 09:30:56 CEST 2005

Hello everyone.

I must first thank you Thomas, and all the devs that worked with you,
for this amazing tool. It seems that some [good] hard work has been
done. Nevertheless, I've encountered some problems that embarass me.

First, I have an endless installation loop : when I install a PC of my
cluster, the installation seems OK (no relevant error messages in
error.log and the other logs are OK), but fai-chboot doesn't rename
the file /boot/fai/pxelinux.cfg/CA095601 into
/boot/fai/pxelinux.cfg/CA095601.disable. I have tried to debug the
task sequence by putting some echo and some read command but they
don't do anything (really weird, isn't it ?). So this machine keeps
installing and installing and installing...

My other problem is about mkpasswd. I don't know if I'm doing wrong
but this command behaves curiously : when I put a string to be
crypted, it outputs the crypted string (nothing wrong until there),
but when I submit the same string a second time, the output is not the
same. Have I missed some point or am I going mad ?...
By the way, how do I know which type of encryption I should use
(default ? md5 ?). Because in my shadow file, the passwords seem to be
encrypted with md5, but when I choose this encryption, I can't login.
So If you have an idea or a track to the solution, please let me know.

Thank you for your patience.
Good day to you,
Joe.