AMD64 : Attemting to kill init

Francois JEANMOUGIN Francois.JEANMOUGIN at 123multimedia.com
Mon May 2 18:40:31 CEST 2005

Hi everybody!

I have a problem with a new HP bl35p I try to install. It is a bi-opteron
with a dual broadcom card.

First of all, unexpectidely, the tg3 drivers for several 2.6 kernels (we
tried the one provided with fai64 and several others, stock or debian) did
not recognize the tg3 card. After trying several versions, with and without
initrd, we fall back to a 2.4 kernel (2.4.30 stock from kernel.org).

This one boots fine and (try to) mount the 64bits nfsroot provided at
http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download/amd64/
I suspect this one to be incompatible with a 2.4 kernel, because we got a
"Kernel Panic, attempting to kill init" just after mounting the nfsroot.

Before I try to build my own nfsroot, anyone knows what could be missing? I
think about devfs support perhaps or something like that.

Any answer welcome,

François.

P.S.: I'm hill and at about 10% of my capacities, that could explain the
question... perhaps.