FAI and portmapper problems

Dominik Kasprzyk dk at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Fri Jun 3 23:16:26 CEST 2005

Hello

I was browsing through the archive and discovered this recent problem (text of which is below) which has been plaguing me aswell.  Today I figured out what the problem was and how to solve it so I just thought I'd share it with you and see if it solves your problems too.

Problem:  rpcinfo cannot contact the portmapper because the loopback interface isn't properly configured (it is not assigned an IP address) causing ssh postinst or adduser to take a long time to run.
Solution: Run the following command before installing any packages like ssh:

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0

(or assign an IP using ifconfig)

I also added "auto lo" into the interfaces file before the loopback definition just to be sure but I don't know if it's required.  I haven't tested without it.

Test (to see if fix worked): "rpcinfo -p" fails before with the similar error message to ssh postinst script.  Afterwards, "rpcinfo -p" properly connects to the portmapper and displays portmapper information.

			Dominik Kasprzyk

I also encountered the problems when ssh.postinst calls adduser and
this calls rpcinfo inside the chroot environment. As a simple solution,
I created a hook /fai/hooks/instsoft.NIS:

#! /bin/sh
$ROOTCMD dpkg-divert --package fai --divert /var/yp/MMMakefile /var/yp/Makefile

This is a simple workaround but the fault is the test in
/usr/share/perl5/Debian/AdduserCommon.pm which does not work if it's
called inside a chroot environment. A bug should be filed against it.

But now I have a problem with am-utils.post. Maybe a similar bug?