Variable substitution in package_config files

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Fri Jun 3 16:08:11 CEST 2005

    > I am just migrating my fai setup from version 2.5.3 to 2.8.3. With
    > version 2.5.3 it was possible to use bash-variables in package-files
    > inside the package_config-directory. In my opinion this was a nice
    > feature. I was able to setup the kernel-version  at a central
    > place and did not have to worry about the different kernel-package-entries
    > in my package_config-files (openafs-modules-$version,
    > nvidia-kernel-$version).

    > However in version 2.8.3 it does not work anymore. Any chance to get this
    > back? I already looked at install_packages, but because I am not a perl
    > maniac, I don't have a clue, where to start.
AFAI can imagine it was removed, because it was not possible to check
if this package name exists after we were using a new routine to check
for bad package names. I also found it not very nice to use variable
inside package_config, so I removed it. Now, you can use variables
only outside the package_config files when you just write a small
script which does "apt-get install $packagenames" and define this
variable in fai/class/..
In the past, we used this feature for installing the kernel-image package.