FAI-cd success story

Henning Sprang henning_fai at gmx.de
Mon Jun 6 09:10:42 CEST 2005

Hy,
A little success story:
Last week I bought a used Fujitsu Siemens Scenic Pro D7 PC from ebay for
50 Euro's for a friend who doesn't have a computer until now. When it
arrived on Thursday, I only had half an hour because I had an
appointment, and I thought, let's try if the FAI-cd I made with the
default example config some weeks ago (2.8.2 I think) can install a
running system until I have to leave.
Put the CD in, got ready for going out, looked at the screen some 15
minutes later, rebooted and had a running Gnome system without touching
anything - great!

I admit, I will have to create an extra customised CD for him, with some
additional packages, modem config, keyboard and language stuff in
German, maybe with Ubuntu instead of sarge, and with a preserved home
partition, so I can give this CD to him and he can play with the machine
and even do and try things as root, and if anything goes wrong, he just
reinstalls with one key hit ( hehe, how about patenting the "one click
install" ?).
Yes, I was really impressed. Maybe it would be cool to have a example
menu.lst for the FAI CD with language selection.

BTW: the Ubuntu hoary live CD I tested yesterday was worse, it had troubles
getting X up and running - which I didn't have time/interest to debug for
now because of other things to do...

Henning