devices missing?

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Tue Jan 4 17:39:51 CET 2005

This goes mainly to Thomas, but I CC it to the list for archive
purposes:

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 02:56:36PM +0100, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
> >     > and mount /tmp/target/proc before/after mountdisks - why doesn't
> >     > mountdisks do that although there's a /proc entry in /tmp/fai/fstab ?)
> > Currently /tmp/target/proc is mounted in the task updatebase. But I
> > will move it to task extrbase which makes more sense.
> Why don't you modify mount2dir instead? (second case: /dev/* ->
> /dev/*|none)

With umount /proc deactivated in subroutines-linux, the problem will not
be fixed completely - it's also necessary to stop and start the udev
init script somewhere in between.
Watching the output of "watch -d -n5 mount" I found that udev comes into
action about 5 minutes into my install (just in the middle of instsoft),
so the best place to do this would be a hook to configure. I've been
typing a fix when my file server stopped responding ...
I started a fresh installation on a "virgin" disk - which failed (sfdisk
doesn't like this). Had to fdisk, "w" and exit... and of course one
should never add lines below the "exit 0" line of a script.

Still there are lots of error messages from software that tries to
access /dev/{,u}random and the like (before the hook is executed)...
so that last word isn't spoken yet.

udev 0.050-3 has been uploaded to unstable on Jan 1, perhaps it will
cure the problems? Otherwise I'll file a bug against it... (I'll try and
get the unstable package to local storage tomorrow)

Cheers,
 Steffen