devices missing?

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Tue Jan 4 14:56:36 CET 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 02:42:31PM +0100, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     >> > /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: device /dev/hda1 is not a block device
>     >> So everything boils down how to avoid the /tmp/target/.dev tree being
>     >> mounted... who knows how?
>
>     > and mount /tmp/target/proc before/after mountdisks - why doesn't
>     > mountdisks do that although there's a /proc entry in /tmp/fai/fstab ?)
> Currently /tmp/target/proc is mounted in the task updatebase. But I
> will move it to task extrbase which makes more sense.

Why don't you modify mount2dir instead? (second case: /dev/* ->
/dev/*|none)

That's how I do it now, and it seems to work.

/tmp/target/proc seems never to be mounted on my machine, or at least it
gets unmounted before faiend ... where I have the chance to look at the
system (fai-chboot -FIv name for now)

This is for version 1.3 of /usr/lib/fai/mount2dir. I'm a bit late again.

BTW, when you start to modify mount2dir: in the sysinfo case, there
might be a $mountpoint of "swap" instead of "none" which also should be
skipped, else one gets error messages while trying to mount
/tmp/targetswap ...

> From the udev startup script:
>
>   # if you don't like this, remove /.dev/.
>   [ -d /.dev ] && mount -n --bind /dev /.dev
>
> So maybe a hook which removes /.dev will help. But which package is
> creating tmp/target/.dev ?

the udevd daemon.

Since hooks can only be placed in front of a task, it's kind of
futile...

Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * * * Merlin cluster admin (http://pandora.aei.mpg.de)