Copy directories with fcopy

Ben Willcox ben.willcox at british-gymnastics.org
Fri Jan 7 12:56:22 CET 2005

Hi there,

Trying to use FAI again for a second batch of computers with a new
configuration.

I'm wondering if it's possible to use fcopy to just copy an entire
directory structure for a defined class, rather than creating
directories with the filenames and renaming the actual file as the
classname? I have tried various ways but cannot do it....

I hope what I'm asking makes sense, but from what I understand the way
the /fai/files directory works is you will build a common file
structure, which contains class specific files within that structure.
To me that seems a little confusing when you have many different types
of machine build, and more importantly it is a lot of work creating
directories as the filename and renaming files etc, when there are many
files in there - it would seem easier if I could create a separate
subdirectory within /fai/files per class, and then have a filestructure
underneath that which would get copied to the relevent client machines.

Perhaps I am using FAI incorrectly, but I would normally build one
machine manually and get it working to my desired spec, and then try to
configure FAI to install the same config to my fresh batch of machines.
What I would like to do is directly copy the config files from /etc or
wherever on my manually installed machine to the FAI server using scp,
and then FAI copies these back to the auto installed machines using the
same directory structure.

Is this the correct way to do it?

Thanks,
Ben.