$HOSTNAME problem

Manuel Kiessling manuel at kiessling.net
Sun Feb 13 15:47:57 CET 2005

Hello,

as I've mentioned on the IRC channel, the $HOSTNAME bugged me at several
  occasions, which I could nearly fix, only at one FAI task it is still
a problem: While installing the software packages, the hostname seems to
get set to ".localdomain.fake". Some of my self-baked .debs use the
hostname in order to configure themself, thus this is a bit annoying for me.

I have one suspicion: Could it be that when the packages are installed,
there is some basic system package which installs the file /etc/hostname
to the target directory, writing this ".localdomain.fake" into it, which
then the following packages see as the hostname?

If that is the case, then a hook right before the package install task
which installs this basic system package using 'chroot
/tmp/target/apt-get install packagename' and puts the correct hostname
into the file afterwards should do it.

The question is: which package could that be?

--
  Manuel Kiessling