Sending DHCP requests .... timed out

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Thu Dec 8 08:51:22 CET 2005

Hi Gavin,

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 04:33:09PM +0900, Gavin Tran wrote:
> I've been using FAI to setup 8 clusters of Debian 3.1 Sarge.
> Everything went fine until it reach the DHCP requests error.
>
> Sending DHCP requests .... timed out !
> IP-Config : Reopening network devices....
>
> The DHCP server got my client IP address at first, for example 192.168.11.7

That's PXE I guess?

> But then client couldn't reach the server. It sounds a little bit strange.

Network interface mis-configured?

> I have read another thread in which had same problem. I heard that
> there was problem with Cisco switch in working with FAI so I've tried
> to change to another hub , switch, but the problem is still there.
> My ethernet card is SysKonnect Marvell (sk98lin). I've recompiled
> kernel with sk98lin server integrated permanently.

Please run with additional VTs, and check with ifconfig whether you
got an interface at all. I remember that sk98lin had certain problems
in a few kernels, up-/downgrading did help.
You might also look for strange kernel errors - and run ethereal on your
server.

In recent kernels, there is also a replacement driver (skge) which you
may try (what model of SK are you using?)

Cheers,
 Steffen