Sending DHCP requests .... timed out

Gavin Tran gavintran at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 10:05:24 CET 2005

Hi,
> > I've been using FAI to setup 8 clusters of Debian 3.1 Sarge.
> > Everything went fine until it reach the DHCP requests error.
> >
> > Sending DHCP requests .... timed out !
> > IP-Config : Reopening network devices....
> >
> > The DHCP server got my client IP address at first, for example 192.168.11.7
>
> That's PXE I guess?

Client booted ok from server and got kernel loaded. If there's PXE
problem, then client couldn't load kernel from server, could it ?

> > But then client couldn't reach the server. It sounds a little bit strange.
>
> Network interface mis-configured?
>
> > I have read another thread in which had same problem. I heard that
> > there was problem with Cisco switch in working with FAI so I've tried
> > to change to another hub , switch, but the problem is still there.
> > My ethernet card is SysKonnect Marvell (sk98lin). I've recompiled
> > kernel with sk98lin server integrated permanently.
>
> Please run with additional VTs, and check with ifconfig whether you
> got an interface at all. I remember that sk98lin had certain problems
> in a few kernels, up-/downgrading did help.
> You might also look for strange kernel errors - and run ethereal on your
> server.
>
> In recent kernels, there is also a replacement driver (skge) which you
> may try (what model of SK are you using?)

I'm now using kernel 2.6.8 with sk98lin (lastest version from
SysKonnect homepage) patched. (use the patch created from install.sh
script comes along with the driver).
I ran ifconfig then got ethernet card loaded as eth1.
By the way, I have just only 1 network interface at the moment (the sk98lin).

Could you tell me more about skge driver ?

Cheers,

--
Gavin Tran