fcopy for single files ?

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Fri Aug 26 12:41:18 CEST 2005

> I don't understand if "fcopy" can be used to copy single file.
>
> Maybe Yes:
>
> - The is examples in "/usr/share/doc/fai/examples" containing single copy :
> simple/scripts/FAIBASE/10-misc contains "fcopy -i /etc/modules"
>
> - It seems useful indeed.
>
> Maybe No:
>
> - The manual is saying "Each SOURCE argument is a directory"
>
> - The logs of "successfull installed computers" as
> http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/logs/demohost/last-install/shell.log
> show things as
>
> "fcopy: /fai/files/etc/hostname is not a directory. Not copied."

[...]

The point is: fcopy (and all other parts of FAI too) uses classes to determine,
which version of a file should be copied, because, e.g., /etc/hostname can't be
the same on all hosts installed with FAI. Thus, all versions of this single file
are kept in one directory <some_path>/fai/files/etc/hostname and fcopy
determines, which of them has to copied to the host being set up.

Consider the following example: Your hosts are "alpha" and "beta" and you want
to copy /etc/hostname using fcopy. In that case, you need

<some_path>/fai/files/etc/hostname/alpha and
<some_path>/fai/files/etc/hostname/beta

Then "fcopy /etc/hostname" will do the job for you.

HTH,