SERVER not set

Toni Mueller support-fai at oeko.net
Tue Mar 23 15:34:46 CET 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to install a box with FAI, but I want 'sid' instead of
'woody'. So I made a few changes, and most things look well, but
the one big road block I hit so far is this:

rcS.log:Can't connect daemon on . Monitoring disabled.

and subsequently,

rcS.log:+ terror=
rcS.log:tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
rcS.log:+ terror=
rcS.log:+ terror=
rcS.log:+ terror=
rcS.log:WARNING: These unknown packages are removed from the installation list: kernel-image-2.6.4-1-i686-smp
rcS.log:ERROR: 25600 25600
rcS.log:+ terror=
rcS.log:DEFAULT/S01          FAILED with exit code 1.
rcS.log:NETWORK/S40          FAILED with exit code 1.
rcS.log:+ terror=
rcS.log:+ terror=
rcS.log:SERVER not defined. Can't change network boot configuration
shell.log:ftar died with error: No directory /fai/files//etc/cron.d
shell.log:DEFAULT/S01          FAILED with exit code 1.
shell.log:NETWORK/S40          FAILED with exit code 1.

I guess that FAI should be able to ignore this kernel error, but
nonetheless, I'm stumped as to why the variable SERVER does not get
set. The real problem of this effect shows in task_chboot when, after
doing almost all of the installation, FAI says:

SERVER not defined. Can't change network boot configuration

At this point, FAI exits, and I get to start over :-/

Any pointers, please?

Best,
--Toni++