fai-setup bugs?

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Mon Mar 22 21:01:08 CET 2004

Hello!

While setting up fai-2.5.4 I noticed following strange output:

  $ fai-setup
  [ ... ]
  Using interface  to determine local hostname.
  Adding  to known_hosts.
  [ ... ]

Please note that the interface name and the hostname are missing here.
This comes because fai-setup uses variable $SERVERINTERFACE withhin
setup_fai_account() but this variable never gets a value assigned.

Further, $HOSTNAME is used in setup_fai_account() before a value is assigned
to it.

The result is a broken ssh setup for the fai account.

Who should be responsible to assign a value to those variables? Should it
be set in fai.conf? The determine_network_parameters() function in
make-fai-bootfloppy sets this variable, but this code path is totally
unrelated to fai-setup. This looks like a cut'n'paste error to me.

While at it: setup_fai_account() tries to determine the hostname by
parsing /etc/hosts. This is doomed to fail in a dhcp environment.
Why not using /bin/hostname to get this information?

Any thoughts?

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw at raven.inka.de --