Install-Client with Kernel 2.4.24

Andre Luis Lopes andrelop at utah.com.br
Fri Jun 18 16:48:31 CEST 2004

Jan Marquardt wrote:
> Hello list,
> I want to install a machine with a 2.4.24-Kernel, but I am not able to
> get it running.
> I downloaded the fai-kernels-Package (version 1.6) from debian.org and
> followed the introductions in the README-file, but when I boot the
> client, there is no harddisk detected.
> The mainboard uses a VIA-IDE-controller. The appendant driver is
> integrated as a module in the kernel. If I try to load the module
> manually after boot with insmod i get the following messages:
>
> sh-2.05a# insmod via82cxxx.o
> via82cxxx.o: unresolved symbol ide_setup_dma
> via82cxxx.o: unresolved symbol ide_pci_unregister_driver
> via82cxxx.o: unresolved symbol noautodma
> via82cxxx.o: unresolved symbol system_bus_clock
> via82cxxx.o: unresolved symbol ide_pci_register_driver
> via82cxxx.o: unresolved symbol ide_config_drive_speed
> via82cxxx.o: unresolved symbol ide_pci_register_host_proc
> via82cxxx.o: unresolved symbol ide_setup_pci_device
>
> With the 2.2.20-Kernel from fai-kernels-Package (version 1.2),
> everything worked fine.
>
> Is anybody able to help me? I hope so, because I'm becoming desperate.

    I really don't know the solution, but I just want to tell you that I
also got lots of unresolved symbols messages for lots of others modules
while testing installation of machines using the 2.4.24 kernel image
provided by the latest fai-kernels packages (1.6) available in FAI's site.

    Now I have what I want running with the default kernel image package
from Woody (2.4.18). It works fine for what I need but if it doesn't fit
for your needs you mos probably want to create your own kernel packages
adapated for your needs. make-kpkg is your friend for this (available in
the "kernel-package" package).

   Regards,

--
André Luís Lopes