Why is FAI using /etc/passwd and not /etc/shadow?

Andrew Pollock andrew-fai at andrew.net.au
Mon Jun 7 03:12:38 CEST 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 01:58:25PM +0200, jimmy at g-tec.co.at wrote:

> But I still do not understand why it is turned off after running
> debootstrap. Does FAI reset it?

As I understand it, the Debian default is to not have shadow passwords
enabled. If you do a manual install of Woody, you're asked pretty early on
if you want to enable it, and the default is yes.

I believe d-i installs Sarge with shadow passwords enabled without asking
the user, but I dare say it's actively running shadowconfig (or similar)
behind the scenes.

regards

Andrew