Discover 2.0 in nfsroot breaks 06hwdetect.source somewhat

malk at sidehack.sat.gweep.net malk at sidehack.sat.gweep.net
Sat Jun 5 00:08:42 CEST 2004

Hi there-

I updated to the latest FAI 2.5.4 today (debootstrap version 0.2.36) for
a sarge setup and noticed that when 06hwdetect.source runs (I use the
"simple" example suite of scripts for my config area), the new discover
version 2.0 in the nfsroot doesn't understand the --module option or the
--xdriver option and causes a bunch of modprobe errors early on in the FAI
process when 06hwdetect.source runs.  Specifically discover --module scsi
returns usage info and discover --xdriver complains about the unknown option.

It doesn't cause any problems for me, but perhaps someone with a SCSI
setup will have issues (the extra class defined for adaptec won't get
defined since discover --module doesn't work)

I disabled this stuff in the script for now for my own workaround.

It's also interesting to note that discover ends up in nfsroot/bin/discover
instead of the usual nfsroot/sbin/discover.  I don't think this matters,
but I happened to notice this -- maybe discover 2.0 moved it's default
install location from /sbin to /bin for some reason.

Suggest replacing the relevant portions of 06hwdetect.source with some
alternate stuff for determining what SCSI module to load and the X driver.

-Eric Malkowski