Some issues

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Thu Aug 26 09:15:01 CEST 2004

Hi,

after two weeks of intensive tweaking, I'm almost approaching the 95%
level :-)

There are several items on my wish list though:

- If I use an MD5 encrypted password (a special one that contains a / in
  the salt field) I get a crippled entry in /etc/shadow (It's already in
  variables.sh, so something went wrong before). Only the part starting
  with /, up to and excluding the $ separating the salt from the hash,
  would survive. BAD :-(
- I'd like to have support for more filesystems in the install kernel.
- Scripts should be named SNNfunction (htis is already possible, but not
  in the docs/examples)
- task logging could use some time stamping (also for faimond)
- an easy way to append "append=..." lines to grub/menu.lst during
  kernel install (without tampering with the file afterwards)
- make-fai-nfsroot might be able to skip the NFS server reconfig (I know
  what I'm doing, and I'm running the FAI server on a production
  machine, so restarting -not reloading- the NFS server is a bad idea)
- the tasksel issue
- perhaps a means to install several kernels (think of 2.4 and 2.6
  series)

Also hints how to install a YP master server (files copied from a
non-NIS setup) using FAI would be appreciated, I couldn't find anything
about this in the docs...

Cheers,
 Steffen

(BTW, I've been working with FAI for two weeks now. To get a kickstart
as far as I'm now took me months, starting with an already 75% running
setup. FAI is certainly worth every hour of learning! Thanks Thomas)

--
Steffen Grunewald * * * Merlin cluster admin (http://pandora.aei.mpg.de)
Albert-Einstein-Institut (MPI Gravitationsphysik, http://www.aei.mpg.de)