Some issues

Fri Aug 27 16:58:43 CEST 2004

    > There are several items on my wish list though:

    > - If I use an MD5 encrypted password (a special one that contains a / in
    >   the salt field) I get a crippled entry in /etc/shadow (It's already in
    >   variables.sh, so something went wrong before). Only the part starting

try single quote ' not doubble quotes as in this eg.

rootpw='asdfser24234ewsd23d'
I hope this will work.

    > - I'd like to have support for more filesystems in the install kernel.
Which?

    > - task logging could use some time stamping (also for faimond)
But what if the time on the install client will not be set (timeserver
is not defined...). Maybe the faimond should do timestamping.

    > - an easy way to append "append=..." lines to grub/menu.lst during
    >   kernel install (without tampering with the file afterwards)

    > - make-fai-nfsroot might be able to skip the NFS server reconfig (I know
    >   what I'm doing, and I'm running the FAI server on a production
    >   machine, so restarting -not reloading- the NFS server is a bad idea)
OK. should be a small patch.

    > - the tasksel issue
fixed in 2.6.2

    > Also hints how to install a YP master server (files copied from a
    > non-NIS setup) using FAI would be appreciated, I couldn't find anything
    > about this in the docs...
This is not the scope of FAI, it's mot a nis howto question which I
will not answer in my docs.

BTW here's the code I created some days ago to saet up an yo master server.

if ifclass NISSERVER; then

    echo "Setting up NIS master server"
    # this is part of the code of ypinit -m, which does not work with a different
    # hostname. It always wants the current hostname to be the first ypserver
    mkdir -p $target/var/yp/$YPDOMAIN
    rm -f    $target/var/yp/$YPDOMAIN/* $target/var/yp/ypservers
    for s in $YPSRVR; do
        echo "ypserver $s" >> $target/var/yp/ypservers
    done
    cat $target/var/yp/ypservers | awk '{print $$0, $$0}' | $target/usr/lib/yp/makedbm - $target/var/yp/$YPDOMAIN/ypse
rvers
    # call make for nis once during first boot
    cat >$target/etc/rc2.d/S99nis <<-EOF
#! /bin/sh
cd /var/yp
make