making the system bootable after installation

Noah Meyerhans noahm at csail.mit.edu
Fri Sep 26 22:20:08 CEST 2003

Hi all.  I'm very new to FAI, having only first touched it yesterday.
I'm trying to get a simple installation done, based on the demohost
configuration that's included in the FAI examples.  It seems to mostly
be working except for the fact that I can't get FAI to install LILO or
grub after install.

I'm using PXE to boot the installation system.  It proceeds in a
generally correct way until it gets toward the end of the process and
wants to log in to the DHCP server and run fai-chboot.  First of all, I
don't want it to do that.  Second of all, I want it to configure LILO or
grub to boot locally.  It doesn't seem to be doing that, however, and I
can't figure out what I'm missing.

In my class definition, I have BOOT MBR GRUB, based on what was in the
class/demo file in the fai examples.  But as far as I can tell, grub is
never actually getting installed at all.  The mbr of the disk doesn't
seem to be getting touched by anything.

Can anybody clue me in?

Thanks.
noah

--
Noah Meyerhans                         System Administrator
MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory