fai and sarge

Erik Rossen rossen at freesurf.ch
Wed Oct 29 08:36:50 CET 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 07:57:43AM +0200, Erik Rossen wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 12:17:48PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> > I'm trying to make FAI work on sarge distribution and getting into some
> > problems. IS there anybody who succeded with installing sarge distro
> > from sarge FAI 'server'? Are there any specifics?

...snip...

> - Some of the DEFAULT scripts failed because file-4.04 failed to
> recognise them as cfengine scripts, calling them "ASCII English text".
> Removed libmagic1 from nfsroot-sid and installed old version of file
> manually.

Just a follow-up on this problem because another person was interested:

The latest version of libmagic1 in sarge and sid (4.06-1) no longer has
this problem.  As far as I can tell, any executable beginning with
'#! something' and not otherwise identified is recognised as a script:

rossen at banana:~$ cat cf.test.conf
#! /usr/sbin/cfengine -f
control:
        actionsequence = ( copy )

copy:
        any::
                /etc/motd       dest=/tmp/motd

rossen at banana:~$ file cf.test.conf
cf.test.conf: a /usr/sbin/cfengine -f script text executable

If one turns off the executable bits of the file, the script is
identified as "ASCII text", but if one makes a simple shell script like
the following,

#!/bin/sh
echo hi

it will be identified as "Bourne shell script text executable" even if
the file has no executable bits set.

Even though one might complain of prefered treatment for Bourne shell, I
will not be filing a bug report.

--
Erik Rossen                          ^    OpenPGP key: 2935D0B9
rossen at freesurf.ch                  /e\   "Use GnuPG, see the