cannot login during and after install

David Fokkema dfokkema at ileos.nl
Tue Jul 22 23:29:16 CEST 2003

Hi group,

I'm at a loss here, so my question probably won't be specific,
intelligent, comprehensive or whatever...

During install, I have ssh logins enabled using the sshd variable.
However, ssh won't accept my root password. If I cat /etc/passwd, I have

root:glidsOrv7:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
<snip>

The password 'glidsOrv7' is included as clear text. Since I don't see
any md5 references in /etc/pam.d/ssh or /etc/pam.d/login I guess this is
'right'.

After installation, the same password remains in /etc/password, but
after rebooting, I still can't login as root.

Any clues?

TIA,
David

PS: Now that I have most of FAI working, I think it is a _really_ great
package, thanks!