bootfloppy and 1Gbps NICs

Frank Lenaerts lenaerts.frank at pandora.be
Tue Aug 26 11:24:57 CEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:20:08PM -0400, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> lenaerts.frank at pandora.be (Frank Lenaerts) writes:
>
> > Currently, lots of mainboards/systems have an onboard 1Gbps NIC. Linux
> > kernel 2.4.18 however (woody), does not have support for e.g. Intel's
> > e1000 NIC.
> >
> > Therefore, I am wondering how I can create a custom FAI bootfloppy to
> > include support for this card or did somebody already create such a
> > floppy? It seems that the bootfloppy generated by make-fai-bootfloppy
> > almost only contains a vmlinuz kernel image (with in kernel support
> > for several NICs I suppose).
>
> IIRC, there were precise instructions for building a boot floppy with
> a custom kernel in the FAI documentation.

I did not find these instructions.

http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/fai-guide.html/ch-booting.html#s-bootfloppy
only tells you to use make-fai-bootfloppy or etherboot.

Looking at the make-fai-bootfloppy script, it is unclear to me how a
specific driver is to be included on the bootfloppy. I guess the
kernel installed on the NFSROOT has to have the specific driver
compiled into it.

> But, anyhow, the latest versions of the FAI packages give you a 2.4.20
> kernel with compiled-in e1000 driver, so you may want to grab the
> .deb's from FAI's downloads directory, instead.
>
>            http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download/

I would like to keep my current FAI setup on woody as it is (as far as
possible i.e. a new kernelversion in the NFSROOT and a new bootfloppy
would be ok, but I don't want to change anything else for now).

To achieve this, it seems that I have to put a new kernel (cfr. the
fai-kernels package) in /usr/lib/fai/kernel, recreate the NFSROOT and
create a new bootfloppy.

lenaerts.frank at pandora.be

gpg fingerprint: A41E A399 5160 BAB9 AEF1  58F2 B92A F4AB 9FFB 3707
gpg key id: 9FFB3707

Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
-- Henry Spencer