bootfloppy and 1Gbps NICs

Arcady Genkin agenkin-lst-fai at thpoon.com
Tue Aug 26 15:22:10 CEST 2003

lenaerts.frank at pandora.be (Frank Lenaerts) writes:

> http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/fai-guide.html/ch-booting.html#s-bootfloppy
> only tells you to use make-fai-bootfloppy or etherboot.

I meant the instructions under this section:

http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/fai-guide.html/ch-booting.html#s-bootmesg

Scroll down to where it discusses how to deal with the unavailable
networking driver.

> Looking at the make-fai-bootfloppy script, it is unclear to me how a
> specific driver is to be included on the bootfloppy. I guess the
> kernel installed on the NFSROOT has to have the specific driver
> compiled into it.

Yes, AFAIK, the kernel needs to have the driver compiled into it,
since 'make-fai-bootfloppy' cannot deal with initrd (yet?).

> I would like to keep my current FAI setup on woody as it is (as far as
> possible i.e. a new kernelversion in the NFSROOT and a new bootfloppy
> would be ok, but I don't want to change anything else for now).
>
> To achieve this, it seems that I have to put a new kernel (cfr. the
> fai-kernels package) in /usr/lib/fai/kernel, recreate the NFSROOT and
> create a new bootfloppy.

Yes, you would need to install two new debs (fai and fai-kernels).
However, they are built for woody, and do not require any
dependencies, unmet in Woody.
--
Arcady Genkin

guilt is the cause of more disauders
than history's most obscene marorders (E.E. Cummings)