bootfloppy and 1Gbps NICs

Arcady Genkin agenkin-lst-fai at thpoon.com
Mon Aug 25 18:20:08 CEST 2003

lenaerts.frank at pandora.be (Frank Lenaerts) writes:

> Currently, lots of mainboards/systems have an onboard 1Gbps NIC. Linux
> kernel 2.4.18 however (woody), does not have support for e.g. Intel's
> e1000 NIC.
>
> Therefore, I am wondering how I can create a custom FAI bootfloppy to
> include support for this card or did somebody already create such a
> floppy? It seems that the bootfloppy generated by make-fai-bootfloppy
> almost only contains a vmlinuz kernel image (with in kernel support
> for several NICs I suppose).

IIRC, there were precise instructions for building a boot floppy with
a custom kernel in the FAI documentation.

But, anyhow, the latest versions of the FAI packages give you a 2.4.20
kernel with compiled-in e1000 driver, so you may want to grab the
.deb's from FAI's downloads directory, instead.

           http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download/

--
Arcady Genkin : CDF Systems Administrator
http://www.cdf.toronto.edu/~agenkin/contact.html

guilt is the cause of more disauders
than history's most obscene marorders (E.E. Cummings)