FAI and D-Link 650 (PCMCIA) anyone?

Tue Aug 5 11:28:47 CEST 2003

    > Hi, I try to use a six year old notebook computer as FAI client,
    > but neither the kernel from fai-kernels 1.5.3 nor my own
    > 2.4.21 FAI kernel seems to like the PCMCIA NIC D-Link DE650.
    > The kernel says: IP-Config: No network devices available.
    > Somebody more successful than me?
It's not possible to activate a PCMCIA card without using kernel
modules AFAIK. Loading kernel modules for a network card is not
supported by fai, since the fai kernel does not use an initial ramdisk
and. You have to create a boot floppy that's using a ramdisk and some
scripts to enable your pcmcia network card.