BOOTP problem with 2.4.x

Åsmund Ødegård aa at simula.no
Wed Mar 6 21:25:47 CET 2002

Hi there,

I have a litle problem. I am using 2.4.x kernels because there are som
devices I need to support, but I can only get BOOTP to work with 2.4.x, x < 4,
and I need at least x >= 8 to support a specific device, Intel EE Pro 100/VE,
a MiniPCI card included in some notebooks.

So my question: Have anyone succeeded in compiling a linux-kernel 2.4.8 or
higher with BOOTP support, which actually send the BOOTP-request. The problem
I expirience is that the BOOTP request is never sent, hence the nfsroot can
not be mounted, and I'am stuck.

Do FAI support DHCP? An option can be to switch to DHCP if it's possible,
maybe someone have some thought to share and even a sample config on how a
/etc/bootptab can be translated into a dhcp-config.

Anyway, I am a happy FAI user for a few years now, and enjoy the system. Still
something to learn though!

mvh,
--
[simula.research laboratory]