Toward a robust package installation ?...

Chad C. Walstrom chewie at wookimus.net
Wed Mar 6 17:23:32 CET 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 05:16:47PM +0100, Ronan KERYELL wrote:
> Package j2sdk1.3 has no available version, but exists in the database.
> This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency
> and never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the
> contents of sources.list

If you're using metalab.unc.edu's mirror of blackdown.org's debian
packages, I did see a mass removal of files not too long ago -- sometime
last week.  It does look like everything is back up and running
correctly.

We use the mirror package to mirror debian-non-US and the metalab site.
For the debian site, we've got a campus backbone connection to
debian-mirror.cs.umn.edu.  mmm... 300+ MB/s...

We have the mirror so we can use NFS to push out packages via apt.  This
saves two steps, the download (network) and storage (harddrive) of
*.deb's, and greatly increases the speed of installation.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc. $(mailx -s 'get info' chewie at wookimus.net)