BOOTP problem with 2.4.x

Thomas Glanzmann sithglan at stud.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Mar 7 09:23:28 CET 2002

I think your problem is simple to solve. You have to enable the following into
your kernel config:

CONFIG_IP_PNP=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP=y

CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
CONFIG_ROOT_NFS=y

Then have a look into net/ipv4/ipconfig.c in 2.4 kernerl source tree:

/*
 *  Decode any IP configuration options in the "ip=" or "nfsaddrs=" kernel
 *  command line parameter. It consists of option fields separated by colons in
 *  the following order:
 *
 *
 *  Any of the fields can be empty which means to use a default value:
 *      <client-ip>     - address given by BOOTP or RARP
 *      <server-ip>     - address of host returning BOOTP or RARP packet
 *      <gw-ip>         - none, or the address returned by BOOTP
 *      <netmask>       - automatically determined from <client-ip>, or the
 *                        one returned by BOOTP
 *      <host name>     - <client-ip> in ASCII notation, or the name returned
 *                        by BOOTP
 *      <device>        - use all available devices
 *      <PROTO>:
 *         off|none         - don't do autoconfig at all (DEFAULT)
 *         on|any           - use any configured protocol
 *         dhcp|bootp|rarp  - use only the specified protocol
 *         both             - use both BOOTP and RARP (not DHCP)
 */

So you have to give the kernel the one of the following commandline arguments:

ip=bootp

Because the default is none/off

Does somebody know if there is a way to tell the kernel while compiletime some
default command line arguments?

Greetings,

		Thomas

--
Thomas Glanzmann            +49 1212 5 269 38 260
Rathsbergerstrasse 28 D-91054 Erlangen / Burgberg